Friday, October 28, 2005

Splog

Leave it to irritating internet marketers to always take a great new idea and ruin it -- and create a new word. The most recent word, Splog coined in August 2005 to represent Blogs that were all about spam. Sure many people have blogs to help promote their businesses but these splogs are simply spam ads. Why do they bother? Because blogs, with their frequently updated content, get good results on search engines.

Its even gotten worse though. I was so happy to see people leaving comments on my blog until I discovered many of them were...you guess it... spam (or splog). It looks like internet spammers have developed a way to use automated submissions to put their messages on blogs' comment areas. Blogger and many other blog hosts have implemented a safeguard and like all internet safeguards it hinders effectiveness for the site owner and creates more work for the visitor. It involves having comment-posters put in a verification code when they submit their comments. These codes are random and can only be submitted by the actual person.

What always surprises me, is how spammers and irritating internet marketers get away with this stuff. It must work or they would stop. But when I get spam I always think "You are the LAST person I'd get a mortgage... weight loss... work-at-home... watches.... or whatever crap they are peddling ... from." Who wants to do business with someone who insists on breaking nettiqette?

As someone who makes much of my income online, I work hard to NOT annoy people. I have very few solo ads on my ezine. All my lists are double-opt-in. When I do email lists, I try to make sure they get some really great information they can use. I have removed my guestbook which was spammed all the time. I have invested in programs that have safeguards (double opt in, link removal, etc).

The truth is, the spammers get richer and make life for those of us who want to earn income online the right way, much harder and more expensive.

I hope that those of you who do enjoy my little blog will continue to leave me notes even though you now have an extra step.

Leslie Truex

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo splog; go Leslie!

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leslie, i'm computer/web/blog/splog etc illiterate but like your thoughts on splog. Cheers!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home