Tuesday, November 01, 2005

National Novel Writing Month

Well, I'm going to try it again. I'm going to write a 50,000 word novel (draft) as part of Nataional Novel Writing Month. Story writing is one of those hobbies that I'd love to have more time for, but I just can't seem to fit into my busy schedule. Even though I have a flexible schedule as a work-at-home mom, running several internet businesses, doing parttime social work, and taking care of the kids (notice I left out housework...), keeps me really busy. I don't have a lot of extra time for hobbies. (The truth is, when I have time, I'm not in the mood to write. And when I feel like writing, I have too many other things that take precedence.) But, this is one goal I'd like to achieve and I thought what better way than a novel writing challenge.

To reach the 50K goal, I need to average 1666 words per day. Already I'm ahead of that average with 2314 words. It also beats my accomplishment from last year which was only 1700 words. Sixteen hundred words is really not bad. If I know what I want to say, it takes just over an hour to write 1700 words. The problem is not knowing what to say or continuing to write when it's the worst piece of writing ever written.

I'm trying to ignore the inner-critic which is hard because my current writing is terrible and doesn't have the "sound" or "voice" I'd like it to have. I like the humor and quirkiness of Janet Evanovich and Jennifer Crusie but my attempt at humor and quirkiness is really bad.

For now, I'm trying to ingore the terrible writing and just get all the ideas down with the intent of tweaking it later. I'll be able to infuse humor and quirkiness (and grammar and punctuation)in later, assuming I can find the humor and quirkiness in me.

If you have a book in you, check out National Novel Writing Month at http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

Leslie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home