Friday, June 09, 2006

I suppose this is good news:

"So far in 2006, U.S. employers have announced 369,282 job cuts, which is 14 percent lower than the 427,278 cuts in the first five months of 2005." (From Reuters)

But 369,282 people is still a lot of people who were working and then weren't. This is why having a little income on the side is so important. Today, there is no "job security". The reasons for pursuing a career are no longer valid. When I grew up, I was told to get a good education so I could get a good job that would give me a good retirement. It worked for my grandparents. Luckily it has worked for my parents who are baby-boomers and who's pensions could be in jeopardy.

But for me and my children, looking for a career as an employee doesn't offer the perks that it once did. Let's face it, most jobs aren't that great. Even if you like your work, there are aspects that make it no fun. For me it was having to show up every Monday through Friday 8 am to 4 pm and asking for permission to take time off. Then there were the "rules" to work by that often didn't make sense. And then, there are the people who are difficult to work with. In the past, we put up with all that for a steady check and promise of a nice pension.

Today, many companies are downscaling their retirement programs or getting rid of them altogether. And, as shown in the Reuters article, many are downsizing. We aren't talking about tiny mom-and-pop businesses. These are big companies like IBM, Ford Motor Company, Sun Microsystems, Blockbuster, Whirlpool, etc. So now, not only do we have difficult work situations, we don't have the security or retirement either.

Another, big problem is that people are having trouble living on what they earn. Some indicate this is because we live beyond our means. But for many families, the means doesn't pay for the necessities. So when a crisis such as illness or layoff hits, the family is left destitute. In fact, one source suggests that 70% of American's are 1 paycheck away from disaster. YIKES.

This is why financial gurus like David Back (Finish Rich Books) suggest developing a side income as away to generate extra cash that can be used to create savings and financial security. There are lots of ways to do this. You can do it in your spare time and with little to no additional expense. And if you stick to it, you can not only create security for you and your family, you can quit you job....like I did:)

Today, I get up when I want, work when I want, and don't have to deal with co-workers and bosses. Since I'm not likely to fire myself, my "job" is secure. I'm also not likely to discontinue my retirement plan, so that is pretty secure too. The only hard part about working at home is staying the course. You can't work on autopilot like you can in a job. But, the rewards...greater pay for more effort...security...freedom (time and money)... make it worth it!

If you are working a job, even if you feel that job is secure, you owe it to yourself to learn about how a home income can help create more financial security in your life. I recommend David Bach's book, Start Late, Finish Rich to help.Also, here is a free guide to earning an income from home. It offers info on everything from telecommuting to starting a home business.

Leslie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home