Saturday, November 05, 2005

What's the big deal about racing?

This morning I got my butt out of bed at 6:30 am (I hate getting up early but to get up early on Saturday...well...did you see the flying pigs?). I signed up to run in a race to raise money for Katrina Relief. I have never run a race before, at least not since 2nd grade. I don't even like to run very much but it has been the most effective way to help me keep my weight down.

This race was a bi-athalon; biking and running. I don't like to ride my bike much so I partnered with someone who didn't want to run.

My normal run is about 3 to 3 1/2 miles in about 32-38 minutes.. so I run about 10 3/4 minute miles. My goal was to try and beat that.

When my partner got back on her bike, she was about 5th place out of about 30. I headed out and immediately thought my heart was going to explode from my chest. And I wasn't even running that fast!! I think maybe it was nerves? Or maybe that it was 8:23 on a Saturday morning (still prime sleeping time). At the mile mark it was 8:31 p.m. That's an 8 minute mile. No wonder I felt terrible.

I ended in 29 minutes which is less than a 10 minute mile...barely but still less. A personal best. I am proud of myself. But, I'll never do it again and I don't know why people do that to themselves. I darn near barfed when I finished.

Running a race is now 1 "something to do before I die" goal that I can mark off my list!

I think I'll work on going to Eurodisney next.

Leslie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Leslie! I admire your can do attitude and your perserverence. Well done! PYost

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home