Friday, April 07, 2006

Balance work and life at home....

My kids have been on spring break this week. Instead of a big trip to camp or something, we have taken several small day trips. We went to Luray Caverns, a big cave in the ground in Central Virginia. Yesterday we went gem mining near Richmond. We found amethyst, crystal, even some garnet looking stones. Today is a day of rest although I think perhaps we'll go bowling:)

Even though we have taken these day excursions, I have still worked a little bit everyday. Not as much as I could or maybe should. The thing about working at home is that while my schedule is flexible allowing for time off, two hour lunches and a nap, I work many evenings and even bring my laptop on vacations. I don't actually HAVE to work necessarily but I'm compelled to. What if there is a customer service issue that I need to take care of? How will I manage all the email if I go a week without checking it (it gives me chills just thinking about that one)?

The point is, when working at home, you still need to make decisions to help you balance your life just as you do when you work a regular job. In some ways its harder to find this balance because your office is in your home. You can't always get away from it.

Here are some suggestions for balancing life when working and living under the same roof:

1) When working, focus on your work and don't let yourself get distracted. This can be hard when the kids are there. But you can get a lot done in a hour of focused, uninterrupted time. Avoid television, the dishes etc. Make a deal with the kids (if they are old enough) that if they let you work, you will do something with or for them in exchange.
2) When you aren't working, focus on your family. One thing I noticed is that sometimes I would be spending time with the kids but my mind was still on the work. Don't do that. If you are going to be 100% on work when you are working, you need to be 100% focused on the family when its family time.
3) Set a schedule and stick to it. I try to get as much done in the morning so that I can spend time with the kids in the afternoon. During the summer, the schedule changes some but I do try to have a schedule so that I can get work done (and therefore get paid), and yet still have time for the family.
4) Take advantage of early morning and late at night. The morning part is hard for me. I don't like to get up. But I do sometimes save work for after the kids do to bed so I don't have to work when I could be with them instead.
5) Take advantage of fleeting moments. I try to multitask as much as possible. I bring books or writing materials with me when I leave the house so I can read or write if I end up waiting in line. If I have 10 minutes before the school bus arrives, I try to get 10 extra minutes of work, or check email one more time. There are many times during a day in which I have a few minutes that I can waste or take advantage of by getting something done.
6) If you are on vacation, find a way to keep work to a minimum if you feel compelled to work. I bring my laptop on most vacations but I check email early in the morning (before family members are ready to do something) and late at night. Before I leave on the trip, I let people know I'll be away and try to find someone to cover for me if possible.

Developing the discipline to work independently without overdoing it, can take some time. But, if you follow the six suggestions above, you should be able to create a balance between your work life and home life.

Leslie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home