Wednesday, December 14, 2005

"Will I Ever Work At Home?"

© 2005 Leslie Truex

As the owner of several work-at-home related websites, I receive email daily asking about working at home. Most writers of these emails indicate they are hard working, can type, have a computer and are desperate to work-at-home. But in most cases, they will never work at home. That may seem like a harsh thing to say but in all the years I have working at home and studying working at home, the above characteristics or skills are not what determines someone's success at working at home. Yes, everyone who works at home has the above characteristics and tools but they are not the indicators of success.

Through my own experience and in talking with others, I have determined what I believe are the characteristics that determine who will succeed at working at home and who won't. Before I go into the different characteristics, let me first state that I'm not saying that the people who fit the "unlikely to work-at-home" scenario are less smart or capable. Instead, as you will see, they are usually just uninformed about or fearful of what it take to work at home. But, if they are willing to learn and do the work, they too can find success working at home.

People who are less likely to work-at-home:
  • Focus only on data-entry and typing jobs in their search for work.
  • Have paid hundreds or more to off-line and online companies suggesting one can send or place ads, mail brochures, assemble earrings etc and get paid.
  • Spend only left-over time in their search for work or a home business as opposed to committing regular effort.
  • Sign up for free, spillover programs hoping to earn $1000's off of someone else's efforts as indicated by 1000's of websites promoting worthless work-at-home programs.
  • Have a fear of doing something different or stepping out the comfort zone, which limits their choices.

Do you see yourself in any of the above characteristics? I was that person when I first started to look for work-at-home opportunities. I'm not quite sure from where the idea that working at home and getting-rich on menial work originated. It probably came from scammers who saw money in people's dreams. What I learned the hard way was that "work" is the key word in “work at home”. I haven't met anyone who works at home who hasn't worked very hard either in a telecommuting position or in a home business. Here are the characteristics I have found in people who have found success working at home.

People who successfully work from home:

  • Recognize that pay for employment options are scams and that free programs while they may be viable, don't work by themselves.
  • Are proactive in their search for telecommuting jobs or researching a home business. They don't expect the ideal situation to show up in their email. Instead, they send resumes regularly and follow-up...even to companies that might not be advertising a job but could use a contract or telecommuting worker. Neither do they expect any home business to be successful with haphazard efforts such as a single email or ad.
  • Spend time regularly, usually everyday in their search for work or a home business. This time is scheduled into their life just like all other activities because they know that life has a way of taking over unless you control your time.
  • Understand that there is no job or home business that doesn't require work. While there may be good free programs, to earn money requires consistent work to earn a regular income.
  • Have a desire to work at home that is bigger than their fear. They are willing to step out of their comfort zone in effort to succeed at working at home.

As you can see, the only real difference between those who succeed at working at home and those who don't is knowledge, consistent effort and a compelling desire. I know that is what made the difference for me. I got a telecommuting job by sending letters of inquiries out to potential employers outlining my experience and asking if they needed a part-time worker in my area. When I decided I wanted something more than telecommuting could offer, I researched home businesses and chose the one that best fit my needs and work habits KNOWING that I would have to put myself outside my comfort zone in whatever I chose to do. In other words, I didn't waste my time on Internet gimmicks. I searched for a proven, reputable, yet achievable program. And then I jumped in and did it even when I was scared or tired or discouraged. My dream was bigger than the obstacles, which incidentally are usually all in the mind. Once I learned how to get out of my own way, it got much easier.

The question now is what are you willing to do? How big is your dream? Is it big enough to really learn the truth about working at home and stop wasting your time looking for the job or program that doesn't exist? Is it big enough to commit time every day to achieving it even if its just 15 minutes? Is it big enough to step out of your comfort zone to do something different to reach your goal? Is it big enough to commit to for the long haul particularly when your dream seems out of reach? If it is, then you have what it takes to work at home and the answer is, "Yes, you will work at home."

=================
Leslie Truex is a stay and work-at-home mom who has been helping others work-at-home with her website Work-At-Home Success for free since 1998. She is also the author of “Jobs At Home: A Complete Guide to Finding or Creating a Work-At-Home Job."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home